P1 Visa (Athletes, Artists and Entertainers)
The P1 visa is available to athletes, and internationally recognized artist and entertainment groups for entering the U.S. to participate in internationally recognized events for a U.S. employer, or an international employer working through a U.S. agent.
You must be coming to the U.S. to participate in individual events in which you are internationally recognized. If you are coming to the U.S. to join a U.S. athletic team, you must have achieved significant international recognition.
You must be coming to the U.S. to participate in team events and must have achieved significant international recognition in the sport. Further, the event your team is participating in, must be distinguished, and require the participation of athletic teams of international recognition.
The entertainment group must be coming to the U.S. to participate in entertainment events, and must have achieved international recognition for a substantial and sustained period. Individuals offering assistance and support to the entertainment group may also use this category.
I. Benefits of the P1 Visa
A. Your dependents can stay with you as long as you maintain your P1 status. They can also attend school
B. You can freely travel in and out of the U.S. provided you have a valid visa
II. Requirements for the P1 Visa
To qualify for a P1 visa, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
A. Athletes and Athletic Teams
You must be recognized internationally in your sport, and must be coming to the U.S. to perform services which require such recognition.
You must provide evidence of having legally contracted with a major U.S. sports league, or organization, and offer proof of at least two of the following:
1. Significant participation in U.S. major sports league in prior seasons
2. Participation in international competitions with a national team
3. Significant participation in a prior U.S. college/university season in inter-collegiate competitions
4. Written statement from a major U.S. sports league or official of the sport's governing body demonstrating the alien's or team's international recognition
5. Written statement from the sports media or a recognized expert
6. International ranking provided by internationally recognized sports' organizations
7. Significant honors/awards in the sport